From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Small (as in footprint) window manager
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2018 09:47:08
1 On Sunday, 2 December 2018 04:21:19 GMT Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > I've been trying to clean up my machines (pruning world file, etc) and
3 > am making progress.
4 >
5 > I ran into one issue, that being on my server (mythtv, file, etc) I am
6 > normally in text/ssh mode but occasionally I need X for something.
7 >
8 > Does anyone have suggestions for a small-footprint window manager (I
9 > have no need for a full desktop environment) as twm is just fugly and
10 > sometimes not intuitive. I also don't need a file manager as I use
11 > Midnight Commander which works well for my needs. This all stems from
12 > occasionally needing a gui for configuring mythtv or the ability to have
13 > two shells open side by side.
14 >
15 > I am thinking others have most likely had this problem at some point and
16 > have found something that's lightweight for this type of purpose.
17
18 I've just noticed this:
19
20 [N] x11-wm/xpra ((~)2.2.6-r1): X Persistent Remote Apps (xpra) and
21 Partitioning WM (parti) based on wimpiggy
22
23 I haven't looked into it, but it may perhaps offer something useful.
26 Regards,
27 Peter.