From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Do we have to build gcc with fortran now?
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 23:23:30
1 On Thursday 23 June 2011 23:48:11 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Thursday 23 June 2011 23:30:04 Peter Humphrey did opine thusly:
3 > > On Wednesday 22 June 2011 23:35:37 Dale wrote:
4 > > > Maybe we have something different then. I don't have
5 > > > blas-reference on here anymore either. My point was, disabling
6 > > > fortran to remove it only lead to other stuff being required.
7 > > > I think there is more on here now than there was before. So,
8 > > > removing fortran to get rid of bloat didn't help any because it
9 > > > just required a different set of bloat.
10 > >
11 > > Maybe it's time to make a backup, then remove all USE flags from
12 > > make.conf and package.use, set your profile to
13 > > default/linux/<arch>/10.0/desktop/kde and rebuild. Alan and Neil's
14 > > idea of a set of the meta-packages you want sounds good to me too.
15 > >
16 > > Then you'll really have a clean system.
17 >
18 > You will have whatever system the profile maintainer thinks the
19 > average user should have, bloated to whatever degree said maintainer
20 > thinks is a good idea.
21
22 Yes, of course. My point is that you can forget about maintaining all those
23 USE flags yourself.
24
25 > No USE flags set does not mean no options set, it means default. And
26 > default sets plenty flags ON
27 >
28 > > I may follow suit - I built this system with kde-meta for
29 > > simplicity, but of course it now has a lot of stuff I don't want,
30 > > including Fortran. I tried rebuilding with -fortran as I said a few
31 > > minutes ago, but portage wanted ifc instead.
32 >
33 > kde-meta gives you all the stuff that's useful on the average system,
34 > plus all of accessibility, kdebindings, kdeedu, games, the sdk, toys
35 > and maybe even webdev.
36
37 I know, and I used to take the time to find all the things I did want and
38 just install those. I used kde-meta this once just from laziness. Now I get
39 to keep the whole hog-roast.
40
41 > I can't think of the kind of user that truly does actually need all of
42 > that.
43
44 Me neither. So maybe the time's approaching when I go and slim the whole
45 shebang down. It'll have to wait until I've finished the current round of
46 redesign of my website though. 177 pages to modify - that should keep me off
47 the street corners for a while.
50 Rgds
51 Peter