From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] failure to login with xdm or gdm
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 14:25:48
1 Just today I cannot log into one of my machines (the other has not had
2 an emerge since early yesterday and is ok).
3
4 With gdm, I don't get a welcome screen. Just the funny cursor going
5 round and round.
6
7 With xdm, I do get the login screen, but both for me and for root,
8 after entering username/passwd the login box goes away for a few seconds
9 and then reappears.
10
11 For both root and me .xsession-errors has just one line
12 /usr/lib64/X11/xdm/Xsession: line 71: exec: xsm: not found
13
14 I do not have xsm merged on either the failed or working machine.
15 I will merge it now, but wonder why, if needed, update world didn't say
16 so.
17
18 Any help would be appreciated.
19