From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] How fast was ... ?
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2011 18:35:45
1 On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 1:56 PM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > On www.archive.org I found videos of the series "Computer Chronicle"
5 > with Richard Cheifet and Gary Kildall (the inventor of CP/M and the
6 > founder of Intergalactical Digital Research, later known as Digital
7 > Research or short DR).
8 >
9 > Totally amazed by the things which were "brandnew" those days
10 > (1985/1995) and are outclassed by any digital whristwatch nowadays I
11 > became curious about a more exact definition of "faster" in this
12 > area...
13 >
14 > Or in other words:
15 >
16 > Is it really true, that a mobile smartphone of today is as fast as
17 > a big iron of 1975?
18
19 My understanding is that big iron's outstanding features were:
20 * Uptime
21 * Gobs and gobs and gobs of I/O. (Though I don't know the numbers)
22
23 If you want to compare feature sets, be sure to include those. :)
26 :wq