From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Setting up a home router
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 23:15:18
1 Hi,
2
3 On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:17:45 +0100
4 "Daniel Pielmeier" <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > > Send the output from "iptables-save", please. Otherwise we could only
7 > > guess if the problem is with your firewall rules or somewhere else.
8 >
9 > Here we go!
10 >
11 > # Generated by iptables-save v1.3.5 on Mon Jan 15 19:09:43 2007
12 > [...]
13
14 everything looks fine. I'm not quite sure about the "policy" module, I
15 did never use it and it is somehow being used to check the "direction"
16 of packets. Maybe someone else can comment.
17
18 So remaining things to check would be
19 - where do packets do what? Use "tcpdump" on the router to monitor
20 how packets flow. Don't cite all the output, but look at where
21 packets are coming and going. Two terminals with "tcpdump -i eth0"
22 and "tcpdump -i ppp0" would tell you that. Send a few pings from the
23 desktop to the internet. Also try pinging an IP from the desktop, not
24 just hostnames (to rule out nameserver borkage).
25 - is forwarding actually really enabled? Just "cat" the
26 relevant /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward.
29 -hwh
30 --
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list