From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hotswapable Drive
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 20:23:57
1 On 7/25/07, Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > I'd like to know what's the current best practice to handle a hotswapable
5 > SATA-drive. It's the optical drive of my Dell Latitude D520 laptop, the so
6 > called Media Bay.
7 >
8 > If I plug it in while the system is online, it is not recognized. Under normal
9 > circumstances (e.g. coldplugged) it works fine.
10 >
11 > Thanks in advance!
12 >
13 > Florian Philipp
18 IF your system fails to recognize it on plug you may have an
19 older/noconformant controller or missing appropriate kernel
20 modules/drivers to govern them.
21
22 Reccommnended Install Procedure
23 1. Plug in data cable
24 2. Plug in power cable
25 3. Check dmesg
26 4. check /dev/ for new node ( udev should make one )
27 5. Mount
28
29 Removal
30 1. Unmount
31 2. Remove power
32 3. remove data.
33
34 ( Although For me I think both work, its just I know that the power
35 connector is the one with all the different pin lengths allowing the
36 drive to say "ok, see you later" before it powers off )
37 --
38 Kent
39 ruby -e '[1, 2, 4, 7, 0, 9, 5, 8, 3, 10, 11, 6, 12, 13].each{|x|
40 print "enNOSPicAMreil kdrtf@×××.com"[(2*x)..(2*x+1)]}'
41 --
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list