From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reverse Proxy with Apache2
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 19:17:26
1 On 1/18/22 11:24 AM, Anatoly Laskaris wrote:
2 > I'm sorry for not answering to the question directly, but why use apache2?
3
4 - Because Apache is already installed and listening on the port in
5 question.
6 - Because that's what the OP asked about.
7 - Because it might be IBM / Oracle HTTP Server which are re-rolls of
8 Apache HTTP Server.
9 - $REASONS
10
11 > There are modern alternatives ...
12
13 Age of something doesn't mean a lot.
14
15 - TCP/IP is from the 80s and yet we are still using it.
16 - OSI is newer than IPv4.
17 - IPv6 is newer than IPv4 and OSI.
18
19 Yet we are still talking about the venerable IPv4.
20
21 > And something completely different like Traefik
22 > (https://doc.traefik.io/traefik/getting-started/quick-start/) which is
23 > geared towards modern cloud native infrastructure with containers and
24 > workload orchestrators like Nomad or Kubernetes.
25 > Usually you don't configure Traefik with static config file, but with
26 > metadata and annotations in K8S and Consul so it is dynamic and reactive.
27
28 I view adding /additional/ software / daemons as poor form, especially
29 when the /existing/ software can do the task at hand.
30
31 Don't overlook the port conflict.
32
33 > Or you can use nginx (which is already considered pretty old and clunky,
34 > but it is much easier than apache still).
35
36 Why start the email asking why something old is used and then finish the
37 email suggesting the possibility of using something else old?
42 Grant. . . .
43 unix || die