From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NAT problem
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 09:52:39
1 On Saturday 11 Jan 2014 09:03:16 the wrote:
2
3 > Also
4 > "Besides MTU, there is yet another way to set the maximum packet size,
5 > the so called Maximum Segment Size. This is a field in the TCP Options
6 > part of a SYN packet."
7 >
8 > Does this mean that even with this iptables rule I'll have problems
9 > with udp packets?
10
11 If you are using VPN with UDP encapsulation then yes, I would expect that you
12 could have problems with some endpoint routers. That's why I suggested to set
13 the MTU at your interface to a smaller size. That should apply at any
14 protocol that is going out of the given interface, including UDP.
15
16 I was trying to connect to a VPN gateway once on a router that used PPPoE to
17 authenticate with the ISP's ADSL service. Although it would connect to the
18 gateway - I couldn't use the tunnel which was just hanging there doing nothing
19 (black hole symptom). This did my head in, until I reduced the MTU using
20 ifconfig and the problem was immediately resolved.
23 Regards,
24 Mick