From: Paul Colquhoun <paulcol@×××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange new behavior from the "mount" command
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 21:32:00
1 On Sat, 18 Apr 2015 11:48:12 walt wrote:
2 > I have two similar but not identical ~amd64 machines, and *one* of the
3 > two machines is doing something new and strange when I type "mount"
4 with
5 > no arguments.
6 >
7 > The "bad" machine prints the list of mounted filesystems as it should,
8 > but then proceeds to read the partition table on every disk in the
9 machine
10 > and writes a fresh version of /run/blkid/blkid.tab .
11 >
12 > This has the very annoying side effect of spinning up any sleeping disks,
13 > including the floppy disk (but not the dvd player, thankfully).
14 >
15 > I re-installed util-linux, which installs the "mount" utility, but no
16 > difference. (The two machines both have util-linux-2.26.1-r1).
17 >
18 > This new behavior began on April 14, FWIW, and the only package I
19 installed
20 > on that machine that day was gentoo-sources-3.14.38, which is why I
21 blamed
22 > the new kernel for the new behavior but I discovered since then that it
23 > happens with all the old kernels too.
24 >
25 > I'm stumped. Any ideas?
28 Are you sure they are both running the same mount command?
29
30 What does 'type mount' or 'which mount' show for each machine?
31
32 Is the 'bad' machine perhaps using the '-l' option, which looks like it may
33 need to read information from partitions on the fly:
34
35 -l, --show-labels
36 Add the labels in the mount output. mount must have permission to
37 read
38 the disk device (e.g. be suid root) for this to work. One can set such
39 a label for ext2, ext3 or ext4 using the e2label(8) utility, or for XFS
40 using xfs_admin(8), or for reiserfs using reiserfstune(8).
41
42 On the other hand, using '-l' on my machine didn't appear to try anything,
43 and didn't rewrite /run/blkid/blkid.tab but that may be because I don't use
44 labels.
48 Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/
49 Asking for technical help in newsgroups? Read this first:
50 http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#intro