From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: HP printing query
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 18:02:17
1 Philip Webb <purslow <at> ca.inter.net> writes:
4 > I ran into a problem trying to print yesterday -- solved for now -- ,
5 > but would like to simplify things for the next occasion.
6 > What appears to have happened is that when I updated Hplip + Cups,
7 > one of them created a new printer, so that the list now appears as :
8
9 In my experiences with Cups over the years, it's flaky setup issues are
10 always different. So what I do is backup all of the config files in
11 /etc/cups. After an upgrade, you may have to set up printers again.
12 What I find, after diffing old config file with new ones, is each
13 new version of cups screws up one or more of the config files, or forgets
14 to keep options you have set or whatever you have not seen before as a cups
15 config problem. The cups team is very diligent at creating new issues, while
16 addressing old ones, imho. So I just manually look at the old config
17 files, fix/enhance what I want and restart cupsd.
18
19 Cups hacking is different every time, imho. I often just copy printer
20 config files from /etc/cups to other machines and manually edit therein.
21 Easy, quick and mostly fool_proof. Occasionally there is actually something
22 new in cups, but it has mostly been the external (web-gui) interfaces
23 and not the underlying options; mostly. A working config file, is usually
24 good for years and years; mostly.
27 hth,
28 James