From: Peter <pete4abw@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: modules built post kernel install (on the fly)
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 15:39:13
1 On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 09:15:04 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
2
3 > Is this possible:
4 >
5 > Compile a module by itself (not during kernel compile) and insert that
6 > module into a running kernel.
7 >
8 > I'm pretty sure this is possible but have no idea how to do it. Pawing
9 > thru google. `site:gentoo.org modules "on the fly" ' and similar strings
10 > .... even just `kernel module'
11 >
12 > Turns up scads of stuff but none of it is hitting this head on.. or I
13 > didn't paw far enough.... so asking here for pointers to documentation
14 > that will cover this.
15
16 Yes.
17
18 cd /usr/src/linux
19 make menuconfig or make xconfig
20 choose the module option you wish to enable
21 Select whether to build into the kernel or as a module.
22 exit and save
23 make
24 make modules_install
25
26 You should not have to copy bzImage unless you built your new modules into
27 the kernel.
28
29 Then edit your /etc/autoload directory to include the module you want to
30 modprobe into the system.
31
32 easy!
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list