From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] disk error, where?
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 21:09:16
1 Am 2011-01-17 21:13, schrieb Alex Schuster:
2
3 > Uh-oh. I suggest emerging badblocks, and then do a 'badblocks /dev/sdb' to
4 > see which and how many blocks are defective. You can also replace sdb by
5 > sdb6 or whatever partition you are specifically interested in.
6 > You also might want to use the -n option (non-destructive write mode), but
7 > only on partitions that are not mounted / used.
8 >
9 > smartmontools also offer some diagnostic features. Including a full surface
10 > check, but it stops at the first error. At least you know then until which
11 > sectory the drivs is still okay:
12 > smartctl -tlong /dev/sdb
13 > wait...
14 > smartctl -l selftest /dev/sda
15 >
16 > smartctl -a /dev/sdb also shows lots of info, including the number of bad
17 > and reallocated sectors.
18 >
19 > If cou can, make a copy of the partiton(s) drive with ddrescue (or dd-
20 > rescue, don't know which one is better, but both are more tolerable to
21 > errors than dd is).
22 >
23 > I had drives with single errors that seems to work fine for years after
24 > this, but I do nto put important data on them. And it is also possible that
25 > you had a head crash and more and more sectors become defective. So do the
26 > backup fast, or do not use the drive until you do. Good luck!
27
28 Thanks, Alex ... I will use badblocks and smartctl in more detail after
29 having the data off the drive (as mentioned in my reply to Mark's
30 posting right now).