From: Francesco Talamona <francesco.talamona@××××.eu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Latest unstable ntp not generating ntp.drift file.
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 08:01:24
1 On Thursday 06 January 2011, Dale wrote:
2 > Francesco Talamona wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 05 January 2011, Dale wrote:
4 > >> Now on my old system, it would adjust the drift file and the
5 > >> adjustments would get smaller and smaller. On the new rig, as
6 > >> you can see it stays about the same. I would like it to get to a
7 > >> point where it doesn't have to sync so often. I read on the
8 > >> website where they are needing more servers to help with the load
9 > >> and I don't want to be one of the ones putting a load on it.
10 > >
11 > > Maybe you copied over /etc/adjtime from the previous machine. I
12 > > would try to regenerate it...
13 > >
14 > > Ciao
15 > >
16 > > Francesco
17 >
18 > I'm sure I didn't copy that. I copied ntp.conf but that is all. I
19 > didn't even notice that one being there. I got to see what purpose
20 > that has.
21 >
22 > I may delete it tho and see what happens. It would generate a new
23 > one if I restart the service correct?
24 >
25 > Dale
26 >
27 > :-) :-)
28
29 It makes the hardware clock take care of the systematic drift. If a
30 wrong value is stored in it, it can interfere with ntp in the way you
31 described: every time ntp runs it always corrects for the same amount.
32
33 From man 8 hwclock:
34
35 "The Hardware Clock is usually not very accurate. However, much of
36 its inaccuracy is completely predictable - it gains or loses the same
37 amount of time every day.
38 This is called systematic drift. hwclock's "adjust" function
39 lets you make systematic corrections to correct the systematic drift."
40
41 and:
42 "It is good to do a hwclock --adjust just before the hwclock --hctosys
43 at system startup time, and maybe periodically while the system is
44 running via cron."
45
46 This is my "recipe":
47 let ntpdate sync your clock, then /sbin/hwclock --systohc
48 and you are done. From that moment on ntp takes care of the non
49 systematic error, while the drift is zeroed "by hwclock".
50
51 Somewhere it is suggested to run /sbin/hwclock --adjust once a year.
52
53 I experienced what you describe when I built my new machine, I had
54 copied /etc/adjtime (without knowing what it was) from the previous, it
55 took me a good deal of googling...
56
57 BTW I don't have ntp.drift, I only use ntpdate and the clock is always
58 correct.
59
60 HTH
61 Francesco
64 Linux Version 2.6.36-gentoo-r6, Compiled #2 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jan 3
65 11:54:58 CET 2011
66 Two 1GHz AMD Athlon 64 Processors, 4GB RAM, 4021.84 Bogomips Total
67 aemaeth