From: Julian Simioni <spectre256@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Linux becomes expensive ;)
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:40:54
1 On 7/18/07, Ryan Sims <rwsims@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 7/18/07, Hendrik Boom <hendrik@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 12:49:21 -0500, Dan Farrell wrote:
4 > >
5 > > > it takes just as much power to
6 > > > spin up the drive as to keep it spinning for a few extra minutes.
7 > >
8 > > So ... spin it down after a few more minutes?
9 > >
10 > > -- hendrik
11 >
12 > No, only spin it down when the savings from the down cycle outweigh
13 > the power cost of spinup+spindown (I don't know whether spindown uses
14 > extra power, to "brake" the drive or anything).
15 >
16 > Say you have a drive that uses 1W/m (huge, but I'm being merciful to
17 > my math skills) while in usage, and requires 5W to spinup. If you're
18 > going to shut it down for 1m, you're looking at saving 1W and using
19 > 5, net use of 4, when leaving it spinning would only use 1. However,
20 > if it's going to be inactive for 30 min, you're using 5 and saving 30,
21 > net savings of 25.
22 >
23 > --
24 > Ryan W Sims
25 > --
26 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
29 Ryan,
30 You're certainly right that hard drives take more power to start
31 up but I think the arbitrary values you used don't quite represent
32 what really goes on. First though, let me help you with your units.
33 Watts, a unit measuring power, is defined as energy per time period. A
34 device that requires 5 watts and runs for 1 minute will use the same
35 amount of energy as a 10 watt device running for 30 seconds. I think
36 what you really meant to use was Joules, which measures energy. 1
37 joule per second is one watt. Now, as for the wattage values you
38 supplied.
39 A quick question posed to google lead me to
40 http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/storage/hddpower.html where you
41 can see a listing of power consumption for various hard drives (mostly
42 models that would be used in servers, but they will do) when idle,
43 under use, and most importantly at start up. Looking at the values, it
44 seems that saying a drive uses 12W while active, 8W while idle, and
45 30W at startup seem reasonable. I don't see anything indicating how
46 long a drive takes to spin up, but I would assume it's something
47 rather short. Let's say 5 seconds (which is probably longer than it
48 actually takes).
49 So here is your hard drive, happily powered up but idle, using 8
50 watts of power. Since it is idle, you might be wondering if it should
51 be turned off to save power. Since it seems a drive uses 30 watts for
52 5 seconds when powering up, this is 30x5 or 150 joules. At 8 watts, it
53 will take 150/8 or 18.75 seconds to use 150 joules. Therefore, if this
54 hard drive is going to be idle for more than 18.75 seconds it makes
55 sense to shut it off. Of course real drives will almost certainly be
56 different, but the point is it only would seem to take a few seconds
57 of idle time before powering down makes sense. Also one could argue
58 that this doesn't take into account the effects of wear and tear when
59 stopping/starting drives, but I personally believe those effects are
60 negligible.
61 Finally, an interesting thing about hard drives is that when they
62 are spinning down (at least when power has been unexpectedly cut off),
63 the motor that spins the platters is used as a generator, taking the
64 energy of the spinning drive to move the read/write heads to the
65 parked position, so there is no power cost associated with powering
66 down a drive.
69 Julian
70 --
71 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list