From: David Corbin <gentoo.org@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X11 7 won't start
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 18:00:41
1 On Saturday 15 July 2006 09:27, Gentoo wrote:
2 > After upgrading to x11 7.0, following the migration guide, I get the
3 > following error from startx:
4 >
5 > Fatal server error:
6 > could not open default font 'fixed'
7 > XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
8 > after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
9
10 Solved. I had comment out the first FontPath line
11 (/usr/share/fonts/misc:unscaled) because I misinterpreted the cause of an
12 earlier problem.
13
14 X was trying to start a kde-3.2 session (which had long since been removed).
15 That failed. It then ended with an error about the reference count on this
16 particular font path. I cleaned out old XSession entries, and things are
17 better.
18
19 Thanks
20 David