From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] NFS mounts and uid/gid/user names
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 22:59:09
1 Hi,
2
3 to not to stress the SD-card of my single board computer too much I
4 mounted a directory of my PC via NFS at my single board computer, so
5 that compilations and other task which need to be done while
6 installing will access the hd and not the SD-card.
7 (The singleboard computer is a Cortex A8/OMAP based one: 32 bit. The
8 PC is 64 bit AMD based.)
9
10 So far so nice...everything works fine: I can see the directory
11 on both ends.
12
13 In /etc/exports on the PC I entered this:
14 /tmp/NFS 192.168.178.25(async,rw,no_subtree_check)
15
16 When setting chmod 700 /tmp/NFS, chown root:root /tmp/NFS
17 on the server side (PC) I cannot write to the directory
18 as root on the client side (single board computer).
19 On both sides root is 0:0.
20
21 When setting chmod 777 /tmp/NFS on the server side, I am able to write
22 at the client side to the that directory, bit listing that files shows
23 me that they become owned by nobody:nobody which is
24 nobody:x:65534:65534:nobody:/nonexistent:/bin/sh on the server side.
25
26 How can I acchieve, that files written on one side remain the same
27 uid/gid assignment on the other side?
28
29 Thank you very much in advance for any help!
30
31 Have a nice weekend!
32 Best regards,
33 mcc