From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Marvell 9128 controller and SSD in Gentoo
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 07:27:02
1 Hi,
2
3 I obtained a Samsung 830 128GB SSD, it supports SATA3 interface, but
4 haven't installed it yet. My motherboard has the Marvell 9128 SATA3
5 chipset. I read a lot of FUD about this chipset, but it is always
6 exclusively from the perspective of Windows users complaining about
7 Marvell drivers, lack of TRIM support in the driver, etc. (Official
8 statement on the capability of the chip itself is covered by NDA,
9 apparently...) The driver should be irrelevant in Linux since I'm just
10 using ahci for everything, but limitations of the chipset or BIOS
11 implementation itself... who knows?
12
13 I understand the Marvell 9128 chip does not reach the full speed of
14 the SATA3, but it should still be faster than the onboard SATA2 ports
15 even if it's not as fast as the drive's maximum speeds. Lack of TRIM
16 would be bad, though, and any bugs causing disconnects or data
17 corruption obviously would be unacceptable to me.
18
19 Are any of you using this chipset in Linux with SSD and can tell me if
20 it works properly for you and has working TRIM commands passed through
21 to the SSD?
22
23 Thanks