From: Sid Spry <sid@××××.us>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Testing a used hard drive to make SURE it is good.
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2020 18:33:04
1 On Tue, Jun 23, 2020, at 12:26 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > SMART can't predict the future so it can only monitor for the things
3 > it can see. If say a spindle bearing is about to lock up suddenly,
4 > SMART most likely can't detect that since it is a hardware failure that
5 > can't really be predicted. We may be able to hear a strange sound if we
6 > lucky but if it happens suddenly, it may not even do that. While SMART
7 > can't predict all points of failures, it can detect a lot of them. Even
8 > if the two drives I had failed with no warning from SMART, I'd still
9 > run it and monitor it. Using SMART can warn you in certain situations.
10 > If a person doesn't run SMART, they will miss those warnings.
11 >
12 > SMART isn't perfect but it is better than not having it all.
15 Well, in theory SMART should be able to predict hardware failures like
16 that through N-th order effects that percolate up to read and write
17 statistics. In practice it seems to be guessing badly.
18
19 The danger of SMART is that rate of false negatives is so high (IME) that
20 you might erroneously think a drive is not going to fail and putting off a
21 backup. A good backup policy should mitigate this, but you still might plan
22 around drive lifetime SMART predicts before realizing they are or can be
23 bad predictions.