From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Winchester Digital HD: Advanced Format
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2010 11:17:01
1 Hi,
2
3 b
4 the Winchester Digital WD10EARS S-ATA II 300MB/s GreenPower WD Caviar Green
5 1TByte Harddiscs offers something which WD calls "Advanced Format"
6 which turns out to be sectors of 4096 bytes size instead of 512 bytes.
7
8 To use it, one needs a tool made by WD which only runs under windows.
9
10 Or?
11
12 Is this "new sector size" is something, which I can activate
13 be using fdisk/mkfs or something included in the linux kernel
14 since stone age and is only new to the guys at Microsoft/Winchester
15 Digital?
16
17 Can I take any advantage of that?
18
19 Thank you very much for any help and advice in advance!
20 Have a nice sunday!
21 mcc
26 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
27 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
28 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
29 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.