From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: boot error
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 15:04:41
1 Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
4 > I use Google to search it "search string site:archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user"
5
6 Very nice, never thought of using google to search a specific site....
9 > A stage 3 not only gives you the opportunity to build a kernel, it
10 > requires you to do so (unless you use the live CD kernel which defeats
11 > the object of using a customisable distro). Stage 3 only skips the
12 > bootstrap and emerge system steps that take so much time with a Stage 1
13 > install. I always do Stage 3 installs now, you can emerge -e system once
14 > the system is running to apply your USE and CFLAGS customisations.
17 OK, I went back to the handbook install process. I should have used a stage3
18 but I did not. Builing a kernel using menuconfig the Nvidia MCP51, which
19 was already preselected, I think that the issue of the a correct driver
20 is solved? Not really sure until I get the kernel to boot.
21
22 I used a stage 1 and got all the way to installing grub before
23 the install stalled.
24
25 Here's the grub error when (page 10 for amd64) I entered
26 'emerge grub'
27
28 rm: cannot remove '/var/tmp/portage/sys-boot/grub-0.97-r3/image/bin':
29 Funciont not implemented
30
31 then it repeats for .../image/lib .../image/usr and so no.
32
33 Maybe one of the partions is not rw? The other emerges along the
34 way ran fine. I did issue a
35 'etc-update' just before 'emerge grub'. Maybe that caused
36 the problem for the chrooted environment?
37
38 Any ideas?
39 Should I just trash the install and start over?
40 This is frustrating because except for using a stage 1 tarball
41 and issuing a questionable 'etc-update' I verbosely followed
42 the handbook installation process.
45 James
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list