From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Masking for Educational Purposes only ?
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 09:58:52
1 Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
2 >
3 > I will try to explain this a bit from what I know from mailing-lists and IRC.
4 >
5 > First there are no problems with portage-2.2. It has been masked
6 > because some features are not ready and thus are blocking
7 > stabilisation. As a conclusion portage-2.1.6 has been branched out
8 > without this features to get a stable version into the tree which has
9 > support for eapi 2 and all other features that are ready.
10 >
11 > To get more testing to 2.1.6 version it has been decided to mask 2.2
12 > with the hope more people are using 2.1.6 to get remaining bugs fixed
13 > and to get it stable quickly. Of course some users which are for
14 > instance using kde-4 or other stuff which will need features that are
15 > only in 2.2 will have to unmask portage 2.2 to get the system running.
16 >
17 > This is one thing that annoys me a bit of gentoo. There is way to much
18 > information that is not passed to the users, a short announcement
19 > which explains the situation on the homepage, forum or even the
20 > gentoo-user mailing list and everything would be fine. Some things
21 > important for users are often discussed only on IRC or the gentoo-dev
22 > mailing list so they do not reach most of the users. Examples are this
23 > portage masking and the perl package moves to name a few things that
24 > happened recently.
28 Of course, there is the Gentoo monthly newsletter. Supposed to be
29 monthly anyway. I haven't seen one in a while so it may be going
30 quarterly this time. ;-)
31
32 I do wish they had or would use a announce mailing list to inform people
33 of changes, big ones anyway, that are coming or in the process of
34 happening. At least that way we would know what is about to get borked
35 or worse and require some huge emerges to get back on track.
36
37 Anyway . . . .
38
39 Dale