From: Billy Holmes <billy@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problems with clipboard separation
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 19:12:41
1 Quoting Bryan Whitehead <driver@×××××××××.net>:
4 > Solaris and then you can't paste it into something else? For example,
5 > I highlight in firefox, but it doesn't paste in my xterm... and my
6 > xterm doesn't seem to like any combination of Ctrl-V, etc
7
8 xterms shouldn't intercept Ctrl-V to the clipboard. Ctrl-V is a valid
9 control sequence that a console application might desire. I use aterm,
10 and it recognizes Ctrl-Ins just fine.
11
12 regarding the rest of your message, there can be something said
13 regarding having a suite of applications that are developed by the
14 same people. They are consistent. However, I could argue that there
15 isn't a well defined design document for X11 programs - especially one
16 that is up to date.
17
18 I do feel that programmers should listen to their users. They should
19 recognize that people like Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V, or things like Edit
20 menus. However, realize that we're running on X11, and there are
21 programs out there that are unmaintained. Therefore, the old way of
22 cut/paste should still be available for backwards compatibility.
23
24 I feel firefox, thunderbird, and OOffice do this rather well. I can
25 cut and paste between applications which understand C-C and C-V as
26 well as programs which only understand the 3rd mouse click (or dual
27 left-right click emulation).
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list