From: Steve <gentoo_sjh@×××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A networking question...
Date: Fri, 08 May 2009 12:38:51
1 Mick wrote:
2 > An adaptor can have more than one public IP address (multi-homing) and you can
3 > use something like: ifconfig eth0:0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 up to
4 > set them up (increment eth0:1, eth0:2, etc accordingly). However, if your
5 > SSL vhost is listening on a random port you don't need binding of many
6 > addresses to one NIC. You can use the same ip address.
7 >
8 This is the essential bit I was missing, I think. I knew it was
9 possible to set up "multi-homing" (as I'd seen it on other systems) but
10 I'd forgotten what it was called... and that made searching for
11 documentation, erm, hard... though even knowing the term hasn't given me
12 a slam-dunk search result through google. I presume I need to fiddle
13 with /etc/conf.d/net - somehow - in order to convince
14 /etc/init.d/net.eth0 to do what I need.
15
16 > Other than vhost I guest you can run a second instance by reading section 5
17 > here (but I'm not sure you need to do that anyway):
18 >
19 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/php/php4-php5-configuration.xml
20 That's all helpful material - suggesting, at least, that there's no neat
21 gentoo-specific one-liner to achieve the two instances I need... plus it
22 highlights specific problems I might have with interactions between PHP
23 in my two instances. Hmmm... I hadn't anticipated that... frustrating.
24
25 I guess the other route I could consider would be virtualisation -
26 establishing a completely separate installation... at least that way I
27 could be sure that no aspect of my 'alive' system could impact the
28 configuation of my development system... allowing me maximum confidence
29 that I know what's needed when I come to deploy.
30
31 Somewhat frustratingly, this seems to be morphing into a considerably
32 more involved problem than I'd envisaged. ;)