From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No 'libs' in world file?
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 15:09:03
1 On Mon, 02 Mar 2015 09:29:15 -0500
2 Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > Hi all,
5 >
6 > Googling on a minor issue with perl-cleaner after the 5.20 upgrade, I
7 > ran across this post:
8 >
9 > On 2/14/2015 7:39 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
10 > > Yes, you shouldn't really have any libs in your world file. Any
11 > > required would be pulled in as dependencies.
12 >
13 > Is this in fact true?
14 >
15 > I checked mine, and found:
16 >
17 > # grep -i libs /var/lib/portage/world
18 > app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-baselibs
19 > dev-libs/apr
20 > dev-libs/apr-util
21 > dev-libs/boost
22 > dev-libs/elfutils
23 > dev-libs/glib
24 > dev-libs/gmp
25 > dev-libs/libaio
26 > dev-libs/libdnet
27 > dev-libs/libevent
28 > dev-libs/libffi
29 > dev-libs/libgcrypt
30 > dev-libs/libgpg-error
31 > dev-libs/libksba
32 > dev-libs/libpcre
33 > dev-libs/libyaml
34 > dev-libs/oniguruma
35 > dev-libs/openssl
36 > media-libs/libjpeg-turbo
37 > media-libs/libpng
38 > net-libs/libtirpc
39 > net-libs/serf
40 > sys-libs/cracklib
41 > sys-libs/glibc
42 > sys-libs/libcap
43 > sys-libs/timezone-data
44 >
45 > So, should I delete all of these? Even glib and glibc?
46
47 NO!!!!
48
49 You can't blindly use grep for this and equally blindly delete the
50 resulting list.
51
52 You have to consider what world is: A list of packages that YOU want
53 installed. Portage will pull in all the dependencies by itself to build
54 those packages. To decide is fomething should or should not be in
55 world, answer this question:
56
57 did you really intend to add the package to world directly, or did you
58 just emerge it because something else needed it?
59
60 Every package in world is there because you put it there, and the libs
61 are there becuase you should have used -1 and didn't.
62
63 You have to examine every entry in world and decide if you need it or
64 not. Also run --depclean to see if portage then wants to remove it or
65 not.
66
67 It's not easy, it's hard.
70 > Also - is there a definitive guide (preferably for non programmer
71 > types) on just how to properly clean the world file?
72
73 No. See above.
78 > Thanks.
79 >