From: Glenn Enright <elinar@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub over the top of Win XP
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 05:30:48
1 On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 04:40, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > OK, the target machine is now rebuilt. I decided since I had to
4 > rebuild both WinXP and Gentoo that I'd just put them on the same hard
5 > drive. The Gentoo install is complete right up to the point where I
6 > run grub and write it somewhere and I want to make sure I understand
7 > the right way to do this.
8 >
9 > The disk layout is like this
10 >
11 > (MBR) - Win XP
12 > /dev/hda1 - Win XP
13 > /dev/hda2 - extended partition
14 > /dev/hda5 - /boot
15 > /dev/hda6 - swap
16 > /dev/hda7 - /
17 > /dev/hda8 - /home
18 >
19 > Now, my question, where do I write grub? I believe it's into the
20 > MBR and not into partition 1, correct? If so I'd use:
21 >
22 > grub
23 >
24 > grub> root (hd0,4)
25 > grub> setup (hd0) (Install GRUB in the MBR)
26 > grub> quit
27 >
28 Youve got the right idea, but hd0,4 is the logical holder for your linux
29 partitions, not the boot partition that holds the grub files. So root is
30 your /boot partition, ie hd0,5.
31
32 All this information can be found in your info files for grub, and by using
33 your method, section 3.2 (Installing Grub Natively)
37 Breaking up Microsoft isn't enough. What the court needs to do is start
38 breaking kneecaps.
39
40 -- The BSD Daemon, when asked by Humorix for his reaction
41 to the proposed Microsoft two-way split
42 --
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list