From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] trying to use Nouveau
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2018 07:28:44
1 On Mon, 6 Aug 2018 02:38:28 -0400 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 180805 Philip Webb wrote:
3 > > 180804 Andrew Savchenko wrote:
4 > >> Your xorg.conf -- or a file from xorg.conf.d directory --
5 > >> must contain the following :
6 > >>
7 > >> Section "Device"
8 > >> Identifier "Card1"
9 > >> Driver "modesetting"
10 > >> ... (some options may follow)
11 > >> EndSection
12 >
13 > I've done that, as described in my previous msg, without success.
14 >
15 > Then I noticed that Wiki says the kernel needs recompiling
16 > with 'Drivers->Graphics-><*>DirectRenderingManager
17 > <*>NouveauCards' ;
18
19 Well, that was too obvious to mention :)
20
21 > I also unset the "<->Backlight ... " just below, as I don't need it.
22 > The new kernel is noticeably bigger than the previous version ;
23 > I copied it to /boot as usual, updated lilo.conf & ran Lilo ;
24 > the new kernel (called 4.14.52b) booted successfully,
25 > but neither Nouveau nor Nvidia would start ;
26 > even worse, neither would start with the previous version 4.14.52 ,
27 > which had been working with Nvidia for some time.
28 >
29 > The kernel log stops after several repeats of the lines :
30 >
31 > kernel: nvidia: Unknown symbol backlight_device_unregister (err 0)
32 > kernel: nvidia: Unknown symbol backlight_device_register (err 0)
33
34 You need to rebuild nvidia-drivers. As a rule of thumb after each
35 kernel update (or major config change) one must rebuild
36 external kernel modules:
37
38 emerge -av @module-rebuild
39
40 > Finally, I booted into kernel 4.9.95 & Nvidia still starts there.
41 >
42 > This is turning into a nightmare. It all started when 4.14.52
43 > couldn't find my scanner, which 4.9.16 had no trouble with,
44 > & then I found I couldn't test 4.9.16, as Nvidia no longer worked with it.
45 > To test 4.9.16 it seems sensible to try Nouveau instead of Nvidia,
46 > but that has led to a further tangle.
47 >
48 > I suspect the problem with the scanner is that the Epson driver
49 > needs an update to work with the most recent kernels.
50 > That's something I'll have to take up with Epson, if I can.
51
52 What is your scanner model? Are you using sane-epson2 and the
53 latest sane version? It really shouldn't depend on the kernel
54 unless you are missing some crucial (e.g. usb) drivers.
55
56 > However, the Nouveau/Nvidia mess is something I sb able to sort out.
57 > Can anyone suggest what's gone wrong & how to put it right ?
58
59 You have not stated what is wrong with your Nouveau + kernel
60 4.14.52 setup. Please provide Xorg logs.
63 Best regards,
64 Andrew Savchenko