From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 'if echo hello' in .bashrc
Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 10:29:39
1 On Saturday 9 May 2009, 12:15, Stroller wrote:
2 > On 8 May 2009, at 14:38, Stroller wrote:
3 > > ...
4 > > if echo hello|grep --color=auto l >/dev/null 2>&1; then
5 > > export GREP_OPTIONS='--color=auto' GREP_COLOR='1;32'
6 > > fi
7 >
8 > I'm afraid this thread has run away from me. I'm drinking the day's
9 > first cup of tea & rubbing my eyes furiously in confusion. Wha?
10 > I'm sure I'll comprehend the discussion better when I re-read later.
11 > However, is there actually any need to parse whether the grep supports
12 > colour before setting it?
13 >
14 > Let's say we use BSD grep or Schilling grep or whatever - is there
15 > actually any harm in exporting GREP_OPTIONS='--color=auto' in this
16 > case?
17
18 Yes, because if the grep implementation in question supports GREP_OPTIONS
19 but doesn't support --color, you'll get errors when it's run.
20
21 (The assumption the author made is that if --color is supported, then
22 GREP_OPTIONS is too, which is reasonable and is what happens for GNU
23 grep, although I cannot speak for other implementations).