From: Michael Kintzios <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] ssh and tar combined?
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 15:46:53
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: John Jolet [mailto:john@×××××.net]
3 > Sent: 28 December 2005 14:22
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssh and tar combined?
9 > On Dec 28, 2005, at 2:04 AM, Alexander Skwar wrote:
10 >
11 > > Mick schrieb:
12 > >
13 > >> Ideally I would like to connect and tar | scp the directories/
14 > >> files from one
15 > >> box to another in a single motion.
16 > >
17 > > Use ssh instead:
18 > >
19 > > tar | ssh user@host "cat > foo.tar"
20 > >
21 > or ssh sourcebox "tar -czvf - /path/to/be/backed/up" | dd
22 > of=target.tar.gz
23 >
24 > this will ssh into the other box, create the tar to stdout, pipe
25 > stdout from the ssh stream to dd, who's default input is stdin, and
26 > output the file.
27
28 Thanks Alexander, I'll try it out when I get home.
29 --
30 Regards,
31 Mick
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list