From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New install - Wayland and graphical login
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2021 12:25:10
1 On Sunday, 27 June 2021 12:52:39 BST antlists wrote:
2 > On 27/06/2021 11:36, Michael wrote:
3
4 > > You're meant to be running X11 as a non-root user.
5 >
6 > And if the only user on the system is root, which I'm logged in as :-)
7
8 Then create a plain non-root user account and login as such.
11 > >> As I said earlier, X currently won't run. I've got a Asus EAH4350, and
12 > >> am loading the Radeon driver.
13 > >
14 > > I am not familiar with the model and any APU/graphics options it may be
15 > > furnished with. You have not shared what the video card might be.
16 >
17 > Well, "Asus EAH4350" is what it says on the box.
18 >
19 > > A quick
20 > > search on the interwebs mention an AMD R700 family, HD4350 card.
21 > > According
22 >
23 > > to:
24 > So I guess Asus have rebadged the 4350 chipset, and those drivers should
25 > work.
26
27 I don't know if this is so and what might be in the box. Only you can
28 determine this, definitively, if you follow the guide in the wiki URL below:
29
30 > > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Radeon
31 > >
32 > > such a card requires in your make.conf:
33 > >
34 > > VIDEO_CARDS="radeon r600"
35 > >
36 > > emerge 'sys-kernel/linux-firmware' and in your kernel specify the
37 > > following
38 > > firmware:
39 > >
40 > > radeon/R600_rlc.bin radeon/RS780_uvd.bin radeon/RS780_pfp.bin radeon/
41 > > RS780_me.bin
42 >
43 > Thanks. I'll add all that stuff ...
44
45 Best you establish first what video hardware is available in this PC, as per
46 the wiki page I posted above, then add the correct corresponding firmware and
47 drivers, before you rebuild your kernel, update @world and reboot.