From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] libkdegames-3.5 won't compile
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 19:58:12
1 On Monday 01 February 2010 19:47:27 Dale wrote:
2 > Well I synced and did a emerge -uvDN world. It said to run emerge
3 > @preserved-rebuild and I did. This is package number one and the error
4 > doesn't make much since to me.
5
6 [snip]
7
8 > kgame/.libs/libkgame.a(kgamenetwork.o): In function
9 > `KGameNetwork::tryPublish()':
10 > kgamenetwork.cpp:(.text+0x56e): undefined reference to
11 > `DNSSD::PublicService::PublicService(QString const&, QString const&,
12 > unsigned int, QString const&)'
13 > kgame/dialogs/.libs/libkgamedialogs.a(kgameconnectdialog.o): In function
14 > `KGameConnectWidget::setType(QString const&)':
15 > kgameconnectdialog.cpp:(.text+0xdb0): undefined reference to
16 > `DNSSD::ServiceBrowser::ServiceBrowser(QString const&,
17 > DNSSD::DomainBrowser*, bool)'
18
19 This means that the code being built is trying to use a function called
20 ServiceBrowser() and it's failing because it doesn't exist or is defined to be
21 something different to what the code expects.
22
23 [snip]
24
25 > I searched around on the forums, bgo and google and found suggestions to
26 > run lafilefixer --justfixit and revdep-rebuild. They don't help
27 > either. I also tried to use the skipfirst option and just come back to
28 > it but it complains about this missing package.
29
30 Those are useful things to do often anyway, but all too often they are
31 presented as the MagicBandAid(tm) solution to all build failures, world hunger
32 and stuff that eats kittens. I doubt very much is they will help as none of
33 those tips affect compiled libs already in place.
34
35 > I'm trying to hang onto KDE 3 and also have KDE 4 installed. I had to
36 > change some USE flags to get KDE 4 to upgrade. One of the flags was
37 > mDNSResponder. I don't know if that is related or not.
38
39 kdelibs-3.5 on Gentoo had some outlandish requirements - zeroconf was one of
40 them. I don't rightly recall which zeroconf method it was - zeroconf,
41 mDNSResponder, avahi - but stuff broke horribly without it. What does eix say
42 about KDE-3.5 packages using any of those flags? I don't have 3.5 around
43 anymore to check here
44
45 Also, KDE is heavily interlinked with Qt. A Qt upgrade usually implies a
46 rebuild of all of KDE being a very good idea. It's not in DEPEND as KDE
47 doesn't so much require a specific Qt version, it's that the built KDE now has
48 to work with A higher version of Qt than it was build against. Did you
49 recently upgrade Qt?
50
51 Have you rebuilt kdelibs than tried building kdegames again?
52
53 <side-step workaround>
54 Have you asked the question "Do I really need all of KDE games?"
55 </side-step workaround>
58 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com