From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [Way OT] Kernel Symlink use or not use?
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 15:26:56
1 Xavier Parizet wrote:
2 > I think that the /usr/src/linux symlink is used in Gentoo by ebuilds (as
3 > vmware-modules for example) that build kernel modules for specific
4 > hardware which aren't yet in the kernel, and so needs to know the current
5 > kernel config to see if it match their dependencies or requirements.
6 >
7 This is true. I have personally found however that the USE flag symlink is
8 annoying, since I rarely upgrade the kernel when the sources become
9 available. Anything that needs to know where the currently running sources
10 are gets tripped over if an update has changed the symlink before I've
11 bothered to compile the new kernel.
12
13 The real problem comes when you change the flag, and then emerge -uDN world
14 tries to rebuild the sources pkg with the new use flag. This was the
15 motivation for the no-rebuild array (nr) in this script:
16 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-546828.html
17
18 Sorry didn't mean to get a plug in ;)
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list