From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NFS and user IDs
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2018 16:33:41
1 On 06/08/2018 10:42 PM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > Is there _any_ way around the need to keep the user IDs matched on NFS
3 > clients and servers?
4
5 I can argue that the IDs don't have to be synchronized to use NFS. You
6 just end up with unexpected complications from different IDs on
7 different systems.
8
9 NFS will quite happily work with dissimilar IDs if you're using "other"
10 permission to access everything. }:-)
11
12 I had a friend & colleague that used a feature of (I think) Webmin to
13 synchronize IDs between machines. Purportedly it had an ability to edit
14 the proper files to change IDs for accounts -and- walk the system
15 chowning and chgrping things to reflect the change.
20 Grant. . . .
21 unix || die