From: Billy <billy@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] LD_ASSUME_KERNEL support in gentoo and 2,6 with nptl
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 14:47:13
1 I have a game (SimCity 3000) that I brushed off the dust and wanted to
2 try out in Gentoo. It doesn't like it. I applied the loki updates (which
3 was interesting in and of itself.. loki was using some depreciated
4 options of tail).
5
6 According to google, the game is supposed to run with:
7
8 LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.4 sc3u
9
10 However, I get an error about unable to load libdl.so.2. However, I get
11 the same error when I do:
12
13 LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.4 ldd ./games/bin/sc3u
14
15 ldd should be able to run, however it won't. Same thing with any
16 command. I've tried various values, such as 2.2.5, 2.4.1, 2.4.10, 2.5.1,
17 and 2.6.*. If I choose 2.6.*, then everything works like it should.
18
19 I made sure I had all the "compat" libraries installed that seemed
20 appropriate. esearch compat, showed me what I could install.
21
22 After more googling, I've learned that some people are getting
23 LD_ASSUME_KERNEL to work, however I believe they are running 2.4
24 kernels. I also found this mail archive:
25
26 http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-dev@g.o/msg00492.html
27
28 That post was a year ago. Is there any work being done on this? Is it
29 finished? in testing?
30
31 Is this a 2.6 thing or an NPTL thing?
32
33 I don't really like using my FC box anymore, but it seems I'll have to
34 keep it around in order to handle situations such as this.
35
36 Suggestions or answers?
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list