From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [extremly, wildly, obscenely OT] Is there a Linux system without GNU userlands?
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 15:35:15
1 b.n. <brullonulla <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > Is there a Linux system somewhere with a *non-GNU* userland?
5
6 Linux From Scratch allows you to build from the kernel up.
7 I'm sure there are efforts (both dead and struggling) to
8 do something similar to that you have articulated here,
9 in this discussion.
10
11 Volker's comments are worth reading again.
12
13 > I wonder in particular if:
14 > - there are Linux systems using the BSD userlands
15 > - there are Linux systems using completely non-standard userlands...
16 > let's say, non-Unix tools on top of a Linux kernel.
17
18 Why insist on a Linux kernel? BSD has many derivatives. One of the
19 largest RTOS vendors builds extensively on the native work of BSD.
20 Now they also have an 'embedded linux' that you can purchase....
21 That have many device drivers (on both the embedded linux and BSD
22 sides of their offerings) and they charge a fortune to use
23 any of their products.
26 > Only thing I can think about is (maybe) embedded systems or things using
27 > busybox, but in the latter case just imitating gnu or bsd userlands.
28
29 If you build a system and use a compiler and do not include the
30 compiler as part of the finished system then you may find avenues
31 to escape the encumberances of GNU. Lots of different opinions
32 on this approach. Certainly folks use the GNU tool chain or part
33 thereof to build proprietary embedded systems (no linux or BSD kernel)
34 routinely without GNU controlling their destiny.
37 Alternatively, Here's a link to wet your appetite:
38
39 http://www.rtems.com/
42 > Not that I have a real purpose for such a bizarre beast,
43 > I'm just curious.
44
45 What you seek is a very arduous task, as Volker has delineated.
46
47 My recommendation is you look at OpenBSD and get to know
48 the (cult) following of 'The Rat'. Funny thing is he has
49 actually received funding from several governments and other
50 dark ops.....
51
52 Lots of fun that maniacal genius is.....
55 hth,
56 James