From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo-Sources/Vanilla-Sources/Video 4 Linux
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 14:09:03
1 On Monday 29 September 2008, Jon Hardcastle wrote:
2 > > > > On Monday 29 September 2008, Jon Hardcastle
3 > >
4 > > wrote:
5 > > > > > Hi, i have spent the weekend trying to get
6 > >
7 > > my new
8 > >
9 > > > > Hauppage USB tv stick to
10 > > > >
11 > > > > > work under linux.
12 > > > > >
13 > > > > > I have been constantly perplexed by
14 > >
15 > > references to
16 > >
17 > > > > compilable kernel modules
18 > > > >
19 > > > > > I couldn't see! I assumed it was because
20 > >
21 > > they
22 > >
23 > > > > referred to old modules or
24 > > > >
25 > > > > > something.
26 > > > > >
27 > > > > > But having downloaded and booted into
28 > >
29 > > Knoppix and run
30 > >
31 > > > > make menuconfig on
32 > > > >
33 > > > > > that i have confirmed that kernel seems to
34 > >
35 > > have
36 > >
37 > > > > 10's of TV card chipset
38 > > > >
39 > > > > > drivers availible to compile whereas
40 > > > >
41 > > > > gentoo-sources/vanilla-sources emerged
42 > > > >
43 > > > > > on my machine have maybe 2 or 3.
44 > > > > >
45 > > > > > Can someone offer me some assistance as to
46 > >
47 > > why this
48 > >
49 > > > > might be?
50 > > > >
51 > > > > > Thank you
52 > > > > >
53 > > > > > (This is my first mailing list post - please
54 > >
55 > > be
56 > >
57 > > > > gentle!)
58 > > > >
59 > > > >
60 > > > > because a large part of the dvb/tv drivers are
61 > >
62 > > developed
63 > >
64 > > > > outside of the main
65 > > > > kernel tree. Also a large part is hidden under
66 > > > > experimental.
67 > > > >
68 > > > > For my dvb-t stick I need to checkout a mercurial
69 > >
70 > > rep and
71 > >
72 > > > > do a make, make
73 > > > > install in it do get drivers that work. And with
74 > > > > 'work' I mean: no sound on
75 > > > > first try, but after disconnecting the stick and
76 > > > > reconnecting it, it suddenly
77 > > > > works.
78 > > >
79 > > > Hi, I went thru this process but i still dont have the
80 > >
81 > > option to add
82 > >
83 > > > support as a kernel module. Should the mercurial add
84 > >
85 > > steps to the
86 > >
87 > > > menuconfig?
88 > >
89 > > no.
90 > > it just installs all the drivers in the rep as modules. It
91 > > doesn't touch any
92 > > configs at all.
93 >
94 > Hmmm i wonder why i have seen sooo many references to alot more kernel
95 > options than i have in either my gentoo-sources or vanilla-sources.
96
97 because they patch their kernel.
98
99 > Is it
100 > possible to 'patch' the kernel source instead of downloading using
101 > mercurial. Also how does it 'know' what kernel to make the modules
102 > available under? I have 3 sets of kernel code on my machine?
103
104 a) /usr/src/linux
105 b) uname -r
106 c) just make clean && make&& make install for every kernel.
107
108 Why patch at all? with the rep and make&& make install you get all the
109 drivers. It is not that much 'overhead' compared to the work of patching the
110 kernel. And you don't even need to worry about which driver you need -
111 autoloading will do that for you ;)