From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Systemd upower
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 07:28:35
1 On 05/06/14 08:23, Mick wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 04 Jun 2014 23:27:05 Samuli Suominen wrote:
3 >> On 05/06/14 01:14, »Q« wrote:
4 >>> On Tue, 03 Jun 2014 22:06:07 +0200
5 >>>
6 >>> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >>>> The good news is that the version of upower prior to this decision
8 >>>> still works fine and likely will for ages to come. That code has been
9 >>>> bundled into a new package upower-pm-utils.
10 >>>>
11 >>>> Anyone that feels like doing it can now step up to the plate and
12 >>>> continue the work upower was doing earlier.
13 >>> I don't understand the development status of upower-pm-utils. Is there
14 >>> someone either upstream or with Gentoo committed to maintaining it?
15 >> No, nobody is actively working on it, it's the abandoned upstream git
16 >> branch that used to be master before 0.99.0's release:
17 >>
18 >> Current sys-power/upower-pm-utils is same as latest code from
19 >> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/upower/log/?h=0.9
20 >> And last commit is 2013
21 >>
22 >> I might backport some fixes from git master over at some point later,
23 >> but I won't do any promises
24 >>
25 >>> Or
26 >>> is it a git branch created just to meet the current needs of
27 >>> non-systemd Gentoo users?
28 >> It's to be considered as a temporary solution for applications that need
29 >> the Hibernate and Suspend functionality
30 >> from UPower for non-systemd users, applications like
31 >> mate-session-manager, lxsession, uevt, and so forth
32 >>
33 >> Migrating to >=sys-power/upower-0.99.0 is the recommended path to take
34 >> if at all possible. It's possible for eg.
35 >> Xfce users, because Xfce in ~arch integrated sys-power/pm-utils support
36 >> directly for Hibernate and Suspend
37 >> Also, GNOME 3.12 requires 0.99.0
38 > Hi Samuli,
39 >
40 > Are you saying that as things stand it is a matter of time before a gentoo
41 > user will have to switch from openrc to systemd, if they want/need to continue
42 > using sleep and hibernate?
45 For those tasks you mentioned...
46
47 ...if other desktops don't migrate like Xfce, then something like:
48
49 Switching to a) systemd, OR b) switching to Xfce (direct pm-utils
50 support in session and power managers),
51 OR c) switching to command line pm-* utilities directly from pm-utils
52
53 ...might be inevitable
54
55 And if Linux kernel does changes that break pm-utils, which haven't had
56 a single commit since 2010
57 in upstream repository:
58
59 Switching to a) systemd, OR, b) wait, no other possibilities
60
61 Yes, that's really how poor the situation is, and don't shoot me, I'm
62 only the messenger :-)
63
64 - Samuli