From: Fernando Canizo <conan@××××××××××.ar>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: recompiling vim linked to libncursesw
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 13:06:32
1 El Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 02:45:27PM +0300, Moshe Kaminsky me decía:
2 > > i got this in my ~/.vimrc:
3 > > set encoding=utf-8
4 > > set fileencoding=utf-8
5 >
6 > Please try removing this setting, then check the value after vim reads
7 > the file (when you reply). Vim sets this option when editing an existing
8 > file according to what it thinks the encoding of the file to be. Also,
9 > you might want to try something like
10
11 A-jhá! I remove those settings from mi ~/.vimrc and when replying to a
12 mail that contains utf-8 (some mail that i sent myself) i get:
13 encoding=utf-8
14 but:
15 fileencoding=latin1
16
17 So, mutt is showing correctly an utf-8 mail, but when it creates the
18 quoted mail for reply in /tmp is giving vim a recoded file.
19
20 I think... is that? So, what's happening here?
21
22 > :e ++enc=utf-8 <file>
23
24 don't know how to use this from the call from mutt
25
26 > This will force vim to read this file as a utf-8 file. Also, what is the
27 > value of 'fileencodings'?
28
29 fileencodings=ucs-bom,utf-8,latin1,default
30
31 i already have tried with
32 fileencodings=utf-8
33 only and the problem stays.
34
35 > > i got this in my ~/.muttrc:
36 > > set send_charset="us-ascii:utf-8"
37 >
38 > Might want to try just "utf-8", but I don't think it will matter.
39
40 Oh, no, i already tried it, i put before:
41 set send_charset="utf-8"
42 set send_charset="us-ascii:iso-8859-1:utf-8"
43 and the problem stays too.
44
45 > > Ok, that's all concerning configuration. Now i tell you how the
46 > > problem works: in mutt, if i compose a mail from scratch, without
47 > > anything, not even signature, and put a LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH
48 > > ACUTE (got that name from unicode chart), and then send it to myself,
49 > > and to a friend, my friend sees it ok and i too.
50 > >
51 > > But if now i reply to this same mail, when vim comes with the quoted
52 > > text that mutt passes to it y see garbage.
53 >
54 > Can you include one of this characters in your reply?
55
56 Yes!
57 In the next line a LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH ACUTE:
58 á
59 But you should see that ok, now if i reply to that message, when it
60 reaches me through the list, i will send this stuff:
61 á
62 which seems to be (not sure about this) the codification of the two
63 bytes of the LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH ACUTE but un latin1.
64
65 Why is that? I don't know.
66
67 > > I investigate what was in the archives, so i saved a copy (using 'C'
68 > > command from mutt) of the first message (the one i receive from me)
69 > > and file says: 'UTF-8 Unicode mail text', check what's inside with
70 > > hexedit and see that LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH ACUTE is encoded with
71 > > this hex: C3 A1 (which is not 00 E1 from unicode chart from
72 > > http://www.unicode.org/charts/)
73 >
74 > I think this is just the way these characters are represented in utf-8.
75
76 Yes it is. I were looking at the worng charts, the same was said to me in
77 the vim list.
78 --
79 Fernando Canizo - LUGMen: www.lugmen.org.ar - A8N: a8n.lugmen.org.ar
80 Jacquin's Postulate on Democratic Government:
81 No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the
82 legislature is in session.
83 --
84 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list