From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: rsnapshot-discuss@×××××××××××××××××.net
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: rsnap failure in cp -al leads to deletion of all but one Hourly*
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 15:30:13
1 Simon Boulet <simon@××××.ca> writes:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > This is a known issue with newer versions of GNU cp and Rsnapshot.
6 >
7 > http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=8988105&forum_id=41320
8 >
9 > Update to Rsnapshot 1.2.3.
10
11 Excellent info... thanks.
12
13 It seems there should be some safeguard in place to prevent a change
14 like this from allowing rsnapshot to eat its previously created
15 backups.
16
17 After installing the new cp, rsnapshot ate one full hourly.* every 4
18 hours until only hourly.0 remains by rming hourly.5 and moving
19 hourly.* to hourly.5. And of course it won't copy hourly.0 to
20 hourly.1 so hourly.0 isn't even renewed either. Within a few hours
21 your relied upon backups have chewed themselves into oblivion.
22
23 I've scripted something that writes a .SUCCESS file to my rsnapshot
24 base each run so if it isn't found right before running rsnapshot,
25 then rsnapshot isn't run.
26
27 I'm surprised there wasn't some similar safeguard built into
28 rsnapshot.
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list