From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] downgrading gcc, stage 2
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 20:20:34
1 On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 20:47:24 +0100
3 > meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hi,
6 >>
7 >> while trying to get a "clean" system after downgrading gcc to
8 >> gcc-4.4.5. I encountered a field of black magick...more black
9 >> than magic at all:
10 >>
11 >> To find broken libs I did these two commands:
12 >>     sudo find /usr/lib/. /lib/. /usr/bin/. -type f -name 'lib*[^a]'
13 >> -exec ldd {} \; >! /tmp/librebuild.txt 2>&1 cat /tmp/librebuild.txt |
14 >> grep
15 >> GLIB
16 >
17 > Why don't you just use revdep-rebuild?
18 >
19 > That tool automates precisely what you are trying to do manually.
22 > --
23 > Alan McKinnnon
24 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
28 I tend to agree with Alan. revdep-rebuild should help.
29
30 Additionally, if I were really intent on downgrading gcc, then I would
31 probably remove EVERY application unneeded to keep the machine running
32 down to and including X11, do the downgrade, rebuild the kernel and
33 reboot, do an emerge -e @world, make sure all that is working, and
34 only then start building apps. But that's just me...
35
36 Not exactly related, but I'm personally wondering what's driving the
37 need to downgrade. For kicks yesterday I rebuilt my laptop which
38 currently has audio apps as well as Blender on it with the latest
39 stable gcc. Everything rebuilt fine and everything I've tried seems to
40 run.
41
42 Good luck,
43 Mark