From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Port Tracer Program Needed
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 17:07:38
1 Hi,
2
3 On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:03:24 -0500 "Timothy A. Holmes"
4 <tholmes@×××××××××.net> wrote:
5
6 > I am getting ready to start a project here in the building to map the
7 > physical infrastructure of our network (its been assembled kinda willy
8 > nilly over the last 8 years or so). I am looking for a program to run
9 > on my laptop that I can plug into a wall plate and it will cause the
10 > port activity lights on the switch to blink distinctly so that I can
11 > begin tracing plugs to ports. Due to budgetary constraints, open
12 > source / freeware is very very preferable.
13
14 Not sure about "distinctly" (that will certainly depend on the switch's
15 electronic and programmatic design), but - tada - you can usually cause
16 the traffic light on the switch to blink with network traffic ;-)
17
18 So broadcasting some UDP packages out into the wild should be
19 sufficient. Use e.g. netcat. OTOH, you might want to play with ethtool
20 and switch connection rates for short intervals. Usually switches have
21 a light indicator for the speed, too, so that should be easier to
22 distinct on a busy switch. Toggle this in a shell loop with a few
23 "sleep"s inserted...
24
25 -hwh
26 --