From: Urs Schutz <u.schutz@×××××××.ch>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: usb printer disappears on cups upgrade
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 12:56:51
1 On Sun, 04 Aug 2013 10:42:54 +0800
2 William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
3
4 > On 04/08/13 09:42, walt wrote:
5 > > On 08/02/2013 07:23 PM, William Kenworthy wrote:
6 > >> I have a long running machine with a local epson usb
7 > >> printer using the kernel lpusb
8 > >>
9 > >> Using cups <=1.5.2-r4 I can print ... upgrade to
10 > >> 1.6.2-r* and cups cant see the usb printer. The only
11 > >> errors in the cups log are to do with systemd service
12 > >> files which I masked a couple of days ago - the usb
13 > >> problem was happening before though.
14 > >>
15 > >> I tried both with and without the kernel module and
16 > >> usb use flag with no difference. I cant create a new
17 > >> printer in 1.6.2 because the usb port doesnt show up
18 > >> at all.
19 > >
20 > > Does the printer appear in dmesg when you plug it in?
24 snip...
27 > I cant confirm (I have rolled back as I need to print
28 > today) but believe the scanner (xsane) in this printer
29 > still works fine with either version of cups (its basicly
30 > independent)
33 Did you read that?
34
35 > eselect news read 30
36 2013-06-30-cups16
37 Title Printer browsing in net-print/cups-1.6
38 Author Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o>
39 Posted 2013-06-30
40 Revision 1
41
42 net-print/cups-1.6 no longer supports automatic remote
43 printers or implicit classes via the CUPS, LDAP, or SLP
44 protocols, i.e. "network browsing".
45
46 The browsing functionality can be restored by running
47 cups-browsed from net-print/cups-filters as a separate
48 daemon (just add its init script to your default runlevel).
49 By default cups-browsed uses the net-print/cups-1.5 browse
50 protocol, but it can also utilize zeroconf (if the zeroconf
51 use flag is set). See /etc/cups/cups-browsed.conf for
52 configuration.
53
54 Of course, directly specifying the location of your
55 printers in the cups interface works as well.
56
57 Seems to me that you could try as root:
58 > /etc/init.d/cups-browsed start
61 Urs