From: CJoeB <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] eselect usage
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 22:04:51
1 Chuck Robey wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > On Freitag 24 April 2009, Chuck Robey wrote:
4 > >> I have a machine which I hadn't used in about 3 months, so yesterday I
5 > >> began with an "emerge --sync" and then updated system. I got a message
6 > >> tellimg me I had to read an eselect message from "gentoo", but no
7 > matter
8 > >> how I play with it, I can't get eselect to accept anything at all
9 > regarding
10 > >> "gentoo". There isn't any such module, nor any news item at all
11 > available.
12 > >> If anyone recognizes the message from emerge about eselect, could
13 > you give
14 > >> me a command line that will report what it is that emerge is asking
15 > me to
16 > >> read?
17 > > elesect news
18 >
19 > well, I had already tried "eselect news", it only reports back that
20 > there are 0
21 > items to read. Seeing as emerge is telling me I need to read the
22 > eselect news,
23 > it seems likely that I'm still doing something wrong, or maybe that my
24 > configuration is wrong.
25 >
26 > Maybe things will improve after I finish updating all the /etc/ files.
27 This is what you have to do - I struggled a bit with this too.
28
29 eselect news list
30
31 This will report back any news items. On my system, the following is
32 returned:
33
34 eselect news list
35 Unread news items:
36 (none found)
37 Read news items:
38 2009-04-06-x_server-1_5 Migration to X.org Server 1.5
39
40 Then, on my system I do:
41
42 eselect news read 2009-04-06-x_server-1_5
43
44 The following is returned:
45
46 penguinchick ~ # eselect news read 2009-04-06-x_server-1_5
47 2009-04-06-x_server-1_5
48 Title Migration to X.org Server 1.5
49 Author Remi Cardona <remi@g.o>
50 Author Christian Faulhammer <fauli@g.o>
51 Posted 2009-04-06
52 Revision 1
53
54 A lot of changes regarding device recognition and use by the X server
55 have been introduced in the 1.5 update. As that version is going
56 stable on all architectures, users should read the upgrade guide [0]
57 before actually updating the package.
58
59 [0]
60 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/x/x11/xorg-server-1.5-upgrade-guide.xml
63 HTH