From: "Alexandru N. Barloiu" <axl@××××.ro>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Creative Sound Blaster Z 5.1 (CA0132)
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 08:18:26
1 On Sun, 2020-03-29 at 20:09 +0200, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
2 > On 03/29 08:41, Alexandru N. Barloiu wrote:
3 > > On Sun, 2020-03-29 at 17:36 +0200, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
4 > > > hi,
5 > > >
6 > > > The onboard sound chip of my new motherboard is ...<hrrrm>...
7 > > >
8 > > > I am looking for a soundcard. I came accross the
9 > > >
10 > > > Creative Sound Blaster Z 5.1
11 > > >
12 > > > the problem with the soundcard is: I can find a
13 > > > CONFIG_SND_HDA_CODEC_CA0132
14 > > > setting in the kernel configuration file (not set yet of course)
15 > > > and
16 > > > on the other hand I can find a lot of people complaining about
17 > > > not
18 > > > getting this beast to work under Linux. The CA0132 is the sound
19 > > > chip
20 > > > of that card.
21 > > > And I dont know how well the support is, if it will work at all.
22 > > >
23 > > > If someone on this list ownes this card I would be very happy for
24 > > > a short info about whether it works und Linux, whether there are
25 > > > any restrictions and how well the support is.
26 > > >
27 > > > Thanks a lot in advance for any helpful advice!
28 > > > :)
29 > > >
30 > > > Cheers!
31 > > > Meino
32 > > >
33 > >
34 > > Hello,
35 > >
36 > > First of all, I have a slightly different board, called ZxR. My
37 > > experience is that it used to not work with linux at all. For the
38 > > longest time. And then, simply over night, it started working. And
39 > > working ok, by my standards.
40 > >
41 > > https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Sound-Blaster-ZxR-Linux
42 > >
43 > > Here's an article about it. Anyway, as a ZxR owner, I didn't find
44 > > anything to complain about. It's what I came to expect from
45 > > creative
46 > > products. Like the live and audigy boards. Don't work, for the
47 > > longest
48 > > time, and boom, a day comes and they start working.
49 > >
50 > > A bit awkward at first, to adjust to the new controls. It happened
51 > > with
52 > > Live! and audigy too. Treble and bass. Now it's a x-bass control
53 > > thing.
54 > > 5 things with sliders to control, an equalizer control thing.
55 > > It gives
56 > > you a little more control. It's like, I never used to run alsa-
57 > > mixer.
58 > > Now I kinda have to because the sound ain't right. But it's not my
59 > > sound board. With ac97 you never notice stuff like this, and even
60 > > if
61 > > you do, you can't change anything about. this movie is too bass-ey.
62 > > or
63 > > too treble-ey. Now you constantly start alsa-mixer to adjust the
64 > > controls to sound just right. and you can.
65 > >
66 > > So overall I can confirm at least 2 theories. 1, it didn't work for
67 > > the
68 > > longest time (I seem to recall to buy it in 2016 and it was not new
69 > > then). And it started working at the end of 2018. And it's working
70 > > just
71 > > fine now. Not one problem. Other than the OCD controls. always
72 > > fiddling
73 > > with them.
78 > Hi Alexandru,
79 >
80 > Thanks a lot for the info.
81 > One question: Do you update your system -- the kernel especially --
82 > on a regular basis?
83 > I want to sort out, whether the card "suddenly" work due to lucky
84 > circumstances (which I am not able to reconstruct possibly) or
85 > due to a better support by the kernel and its drivers.
86 > I think the latter is more likely...
87 >
88 > Cheers!
89 > Meino
93 It's already merged upstream. The driver is now part of the normal
94 kernel. I have no clue why it took so long, or who contributed the
95 patches.