From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 12:01:54
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Saturday 16 Jan 2016 09:39:24 Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >> On 16/01/2016 06:17, Grant wrote:
5 >> > I'm considering allowing some employees to work from home but I'm
6 >> > concerned about the security implications. Currently everybody shows up
7 >> > and logs into their locked down Gentoo system and from there is able to
8 >> > access the company webapps which are restricted to the office IP
9 >> > address. I guess I would have to allow webapp access from any IP for
10 >> > those users and trust that their computer is secure? Should that not be
11 >> > scary?
12 >> >
13 >> > - Grant
14 >>
15 >> I have experience in this area. I work at ISPs where working from home
16 >> is routine and required for overnight standby.
17 >>
18 >> You need a VPN, I'd recommend OpenVPN. It's easy to set up and offers
19 >> the security levels you need. Use the Layer3 routing option that uses
20 >> tun drivers (not tap) and issue the certificates to the users yourself.
21 >> Then allow your servers to accept connections from the VPN range as well
22 >> as the internal office range
23 >>
24 >> As for the security levels of their personal machines, tell them what
25 >> you require and from that point on you really have to trust your people
26 >> so be security aware and with the program.
27 >
28 > Some other alternatives and thoughts to solutions already proposed are:
29 >
30 > 1. Only allow access through the office firewall and webapp servers to the IP
31 > addresses of your employees. This would only work if your employees have
32 > static IP addresses and are few in number - otherwise you are creating an
33 > administrative burden. I assume that the client connection to the webapp
34 > server will be over some secure protocol, e.g. SSH, SSL/TLS. Otherwise,
35 > you'll need an encrypted tunnel (see below).
36 >
37 > 2. Instead of OpenVPN which has been recommended I suggest that you take a
38 > look at IPSec with IKEv2. IPSec + IKEv2 provides higher throughout because
39 > encryption/decryption is performed in the kernel, rather than userspace and
40 > because it allows for multi-threading, which last time I looked OpenVPN does
41 > not. In addition, IKEv2 employs the MOBIKE protocol which allows mobile
42 > client roaming. Changing client IP addresses is handled automatically,
43 > without having to restart manually the VPN session. All this said, if your
44 > use case has low throughput demand then OpenVPN would work fine. In both
45 > cases, use strong encryption.
46 >
47 > 3. If you go with OpenVPN, following Alan's suggestion to use tun instead of
48 > tap, I should add that if you have deployed MSWindows or other clients and
49 > services with non-IP protocols, then you'll probably need a tap bridge to make
50 > sure that all services can get through. The client machines will then become
51 > part of your LAN. Depending on client numbers you may need more than one VLAN
52 > segment and multiple OpenVPN servers.
53 >
54 > 4. An easier and simpler alternative may be to run SSH SOCKS proxy on the
55 > server and proxychains on the clients. Any software run with proxychains on
56 > the client will be tunnelled via SSH to the server and from a network
57 > perspective will be connected to the office LAN. Webapps should be able to
58 > run quite efficiently in this way and connect to the LAN server. Public key
59 > authentication and an SSH high port should keep pests away.
60
61 Suppose you use a VPN connection. How do does the client (employee)
62 secure their own network and the machine they're using to work remotely
63 then?
64
65 What's the Linux equivalent of RDP sessions? Some sort of VNC seems to
66 usually require a lot of bandwidth, and I wouldn't know how to run it as
67 a service so that someone could just start a client (like rdesktop) and
68 log in to the server as they can do with Windoze servers. --- I only
69 found x11rdp which appears to be incompatible with current X servers.
70
71 Then there's LTSP. Letting aside that there are no thin clients with
72 sufficient graphics performance: would it be possible to do that over a
73 VPN connection, provided that the VPN connection doesn't put the rest of
74 the network on the client side at risk?
75
76 Having that said, I'm finding OpenVNC anything but easy to set up. How
77 is that with IPsec and IKEv2?
78
79 Proxychains sounds interesting. Is it possible to run rdesktop through
80 that?