From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Where is /etc/conf.d/net.example?
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 19:22:29
1 On 03/16/2014 08:27 PM, Chris Stankevitz wrote:
2 > Where is the proper place to specify the gentoo network configuration nowadays?
3 >
4 > I do not have a file called /etc/conf.d/net.example on my hard drive.
5 > That surprised me.
6 >
7 > The handbook talks all about eth0, but my machine does not have a
8 > eth0. It has eno1. Perhaps the handbook is not up to date?
9 >
10 > I'm using wicd now but I want to ditch wicd and replace it with the
11 > "generally accepted correct gentoo way".
12 >
13 > Thank you,
14 >
15 > Chris
16 >
17 As far as eth0 goes, the handbook does talk about network interface
18 names other than eth0. See below for details.
21 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?style=printable&full=1#book_part1_chap3
22
23 Automatically Start Networking at Boot
24
25 To have your network interfaces activated at boot, you need to add them
26 to the default runlevel.
27
28 Code Listing 2.7: Adding net.eth0 to the default runlevel
29
30 # cd /etc/init.d
31 # ln -s net.lo net.eth0
32 # rc-update add net.eth0 default
33
34 If you have several network interfaces, you need to create the
35 appropriate net.* files just like you did with net.eth0.
36
37 If you later find out the assumption about the network interface name
38 (which we currently document as eth0) was wrong, then
39
40 1. update the /etc/conf.d/net file with the correct interface name
41 (like enp3s0 instead of eth0),
42 2. create new symbolic link (like /etc/init.d/net.enp3s0),
43 3. remove the old symbolic link (rm /etc/init.d/net.eth0),
44 4. add the new one to the default runlevel, and
45 5. remove the old one using rc-update del net.eth0 default.