From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I find all "orphaned" files?
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 14:30:32
1 On 3/25/2011 5:33 AM, Dale wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Fri, 25 Mar 2011 01:33:38 -0500, Dale wrote:
6 >>> Naturally this returned a lot so we have to use common sense before
7 >>> deleting something. That said, what about these:
8 >>>
9 >>> /usr/bin/cc
10 >>> /usr/bin/c++
11 >>> /usr/bin/c89
12 >>> /usr/bin/gcc
13 >>> /usr/bin/gcov
14 >>> /usr/bin/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-c++
15 >>>
16 >> I think these are created by gcc-config, so don't belong to any package.
17 >> If you want to do this regularly, I'd suggest creating a list of
18 >> exceptions that you can exclude from find. You don't need to search
19 >> everywhere, /{,usr}/{,s}bin, /{,usr}/lib and /opt should be sufficient.
23 > So if they were deleted things would still work? Just curious. This is
24 > a recent install so I wasn't expecting it to find much, just files I
25 > created basically. I just thought it odd that it found so many files
26 > and that qfile/equery didn't know where they came from either.
27 >
28 > That gcc one bugs me tho. It's in /usr/bin but doesn't belong to a
29 > package. Just blows my mind, which ain't much right now. lol I got
30 > to get better meds.
31
32 /usr/bin/gcc doesn't belong to any package. The gcc packages install
33 versioned files, like:
34
35 /usr/bin/gcc-4.5.2 ->
36 /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.5.2/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc
37
38 When you run gcc-config to pick a compiler, it creates and/or updates
39 /usr/bin/gcc (and the others) to point to whatever version binaries you
40 selected.
41
42 If you deleted /usr/bin/cc, /usr/bin/gcc, etc. things would stop
43 compiling, but just running gcc-config will make them come back. If
44 /usr/bin/gcc is missing you will get an error about your GCC_SPECS being
45 wrong but that's because gcc-config tries to run `/usr/bin/gcc -v` to
46 check for problems. But the error is harmless -- just re-run gcc-config
47 again and you will see it finish with no problems.
48
49 --Mike