From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hoping someone can help explain distcc to me
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 01:11:26
1 On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 7:35 PM, Peter Humphrey
2 <peter@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 > On Saturday 20 August 2011 23:56:08 Paul Hartman wrote:
4 >
5 >> I have a fast desktop computer and a slow laptop. Both are ~amd64
6 >> Gentoo. After some of the recent discussions about Gentoo on slow
7 >> devices, I thought I'd dust off the laptop and try to bring it up to
8 >> date.
9 >>
10 >> I'd like to use distcc to make the desktop do all the compiling during
11 >> emerges. I've never been able to get distcc working properly, or, at
12 >> least, I've never been able to get it working to the point where using
13 >> distcc is any faster than not using it at all.
14 >
15 > Your laptop isn't sending its compilation jobs to your desktop. Have you
16 > used gkrellm or similar to check for network traffic?
17
18 Well, there are definitely some distcc jobs going to the desktop, I
19 see them, it's just that they finish so fast and there's a "long" time
20 between them. The logs indicate it is successfully compiling things.
21 But, it is in no way saturating the resources of the desktop, which is
22 what I was (perhaps naively) hoping to see.
23
24 > I think I'd take a different approach, one that I dare say you can
25 > anticipate. By all means take the advice you're about to be offered to get
26 > distcc working, but why not create a chroot on your desktop, NFS export the
27 > packages directory from the laptop to it and do the whole job there? Then
28 > return to the laptop and emerge -k. It does need more keystrokes but it uses
29 > far less CPU. You just need to copy /var/lib/portage/world, make.conf and
30 > the /etc/portage tree to the chroot before you start.
31 >
32 > I did once get distcc working, but as Neil has observed re Atoms, a lot of
33 > work is still done before compilation is farmed out to the distcc server,
34 > rather diluting the benefit of distributed compilation.
35
36 That was going to be my next approach if distcc just doesn't do enough. :)
37
38 Could I just export the entire laptop - everything from the root
39 directory and below - and chroot into that over the network? Then I
40 wouldn't even need to emerge -k...