From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: No /dev entries in recent stage3 snapshots?
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 04:55:18
1 On Freitag 23 Januar 2009, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > On 2009-01-21, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > > On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 15:50:17 +0000, Nick Cunningham wrote:
4 > >>> But, that doesn't really solve the problem, since after a
5 > >>> reboot the /dev directory will be empty again and you end up
6 > >>> with problems such as no console during startup.
7 > >>
8 > >> IIRC thats because /dev should be populated on startup by udev
9 > >> so i would check that udev is installed and working properly,
10 > >> if you use openrc then this could be the cause as openrc now
11 > >> starts udev through normal scripts i think, sometimes on
12 > >> upgrade from baselayout 1 they may not be automatically added
13 > >> to the right runlevels.
14 > >
15 > > You still need /dev/console in the dev directory of the root partition,
16 > > along with /dev/null.
17 >
18 > Try telling that to somebody in the Gentoo forum hiding behind
19 > the screen name "desultory". Sheesh. I reported the issue to
20 > the forum thread as requested by the article on www.gentoo.org,
21 > and I got a very hostile reaction. Bascially I got a snide,
22 > insulting response, a complete denial that there was a problem
23 > with the tarball in question, and a denial that either
24 > /dev/console or /dev/null is needed at boot time.
25 >
26 > That's the last time I waste my time with that forum. I should
27 > have known. Web forums all suck. Web forum UIs are all
28 > completely abominable, and they seem to be inhabited almost
29 > exclusively by surly, unjustifiably arrogant junior-high kids
30 > hiding behind stupid screen names and even worse avatars.
31 >
32 > > Anything else is a waste of disk space and inodes as the
33 > > static /dev/devices are hidden as soon as udev starts.
34 >
35 > Yup.
36 >
37 > > If the tarball doesn't contain /dev/console it is broken, but
38 > > it is also broken if it contains thousands of device entries.
39
40 I have a server running that hets that null/console missing message every boot
41 - and it does not hurt it at any way.