From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Printing issue
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 16:07:11
1 CJoeB wrote:
2 > On 03/27/10 01:25, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> CJoeB wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Hi,
7 >>>
8 >>> I have an HP C4795 All-in-One Printer/Scanner/Copier. I had the thing
9 >>> working, with the exception that the scanner would only work with xsane
10 >>> when logged in as root.
11 >>>
12 >>> I haven't used the printer in a few days and have updated my system and
13 >>> the kernel since I last used it. Now, I can't get the darn thing to
14 >>> work. I can set up the printer used the CUPS web interface. I can send
15 >>> jobs to the printer and they will appear in the queue, but they just
16 >>> hang and won't print.
17 >>>
18 >>> I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions?
19 >>>
20 >>> Thanks in advance.
21 >>>
22 >>> Colleen
23 >>>
24 >>>
25 >>>
26 >> This may not help but I noticed something weird like this a while
27 >> back. The only way I could fix it was to delete the printer and add
28 >> it back again. Mine is a HP as well so this may be worth trying at
29 >> least. Also note, you should use the HP tool to add this printer. I
30 >> think it is hp-setup.
31 >>
32 >> On the scanner, it sounds like you need to be added to a group to
33 >> access the scanner as a user. Look in /etc/group and see if you
34 >> something scanner related.
35 >>
36 >> Hope that helps if no one else has a better idea.
37 >> Dale
40 > Thanks, Dale. Yours was the only response I have received so far. I'm
41 > really only replying to add some clarity. I did try deleting the
42 > printer and adding again with the same result. The HP tool won't even
43 > recognize the printer and gives me the option to go to the CUPS web
44 > interface.
45 >
46 > As far as the scanner goes, I haven't resolved that issue, but it is not
47 > a concern at this point. I *did* add myself to the scanner group. I
48 > posted that issue previously and was told that I should create a rule.
49 >
50 > Thanks, again,
51 >
52 > Colleen
56 There should also be a reply from Philip Webb as well. He suggests
57 checking your USE flags as some older printers require different flags
58 to get the ppds that are needed.
59
60 That could cause this problem as well and was recently updated.
61
62 Dale
63