From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AHCI/IDE-question
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 20:14:58
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> [11-01-21 21:04]:
2 > On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 11:40 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
4 > > Hi Mark,
5 > >
6 > <SNIP>
7 > > I thought (which implies "I dont know for sure"), that the BIOS do
8 > > enable/disable certain features, the kernels reads that settings and
9 > > act accordingly -- but definitely this is not true for all settings.
12 > Certainly true for some hardware, like clocks, etc.
13 >
14 > For disk controllers AFAIK the goal is to give the boot loader a
15 > chance to boot. After that it doesn't, in general, matter what the
16 > BIOS did.
17 >
18 > For instance, modern SATA controllers use DMA. BIOS and older
19 > operating systems like DOS didn't know much, if anything, about DMA,
20 > so BIOS leaves that turned off. The kernel turns that on.
21 >
22 > > Does the contents of a harddisk differ when written with AHCI
23 > > compared to a disk which is written with IDE?
26 > TTBOMK no. Other things like file system type, etc., change what's on
27 > the disk, but the disk store so many bytes/sector and that's just the
28 > way it works.
31 > > If NO _AND_ only the kernel sets the AHCI- odr IDE-protocol, then
32 > > the harddisk should be readable in either case.
35 > Certainly, which is why you could build this system using AHCI and
36 > then move it to some other system and read the disk using DOS.
37 > (Assuming DOS could understand the file system like FAT, etc.)
38 >
39 > > If the BIOS _and_ the kernel settings are defining, how to talk
40 > > to the disk, then it may happen, that there is only the "sound of silence"
41 > > between kernel and hardware if before the BIOS set up the SATA-chips
42 > > differently to what the kernel wants to talk.
45 > BIOS sets up the system hardware so the boot loader can get the kernel
46 > image off the disk. The kernel is read into memory using these
47 > settings. At that point there aren't any more disk reads for a while.
48 > The kernel executes and starts resetting the hardware through driver
49 > loads, etc. This is why one controller could be set to use a SATA
50 > Drive by itself or RAID.
51 >
52 > > But again, these are only thougts drifting in the dark.
53 > >
54 > > I tried to shed some more light (for getting greater shadows ;) )
55 > > by posting my question here... ;) 8)
56 > >
57 > > May be I should do some more stupid things??? ;)
60 > Ain't no such thing a stupid question. Only thing to do when
61 > experimenting is ensure you aren't risking data you care about. I
62 > would do these experiments on a new clean system. I would not do them
63 > on a system that has stuff I care about unless I had known good
64 > backups.
65 >
66 > > Thanks again for your help and your words, Mark!
67 > > Have a nice weekend!
68 > > Best regards,
69 > > mcc
72 > You too sir!
73 >
74 > Cheers,
75 > Mark
79 Last thing which remains is: Why does the help of the kernel says
80 to both AHCI-settings: "If unsure, say N"... ?